回覆文章
Edd_88
原恆星
文章: 73
註冊時間: 週五 24 4月, 2015 23:09

ZEQ 25 not working with PHD/PHD2

文章 Edd_88 » 週三 20 5月, 2015 23:43

Hi C-hing

I just bought ZEQ25 and it seems work fine except with PHD/PHD2 (I would like to use these guiding software because it's free).

I installed all required drivers (such as iOptron Commander and ASCOM Driver Installer 2013 V3.111 & USB->RS232), ASCOM 6.1 and .NET framework and PHD/PHD2

Upon I try to start guiding for longer exposure and both PHD/PHD2 report error of star not moving enough while RA calibration. In fact. the RA axial didn't move at all. When I use manual guiding, the DEC axial reaponse while I hit the South or North button. However, nothing happen when I hit East or West button.

For information, whin I use the iOptron control panel on screen (not the manual guiding pop up in PHD), it response to all E,W,S,N button. More, the communication statistic window shown that command sent and received by ZEQ25 while PHD calibrating the RA or when I hit the E or W button in the manual guiding pop up in PHD, but the RA axial just didn't response. I am using ASCOM control via RS232 but not using the guide port.

Any C-hing has a clue?

Thanks and best regards.

cwydavid
原恆星
文章: 94
註冊時間: 週六 23 10月, 2010 12:41

文章 cwydavid » 週四 21 5月, 2015 10:08

Have you checked the guiding rate on your ZEQ's hand control box? I used to have calibration error reported by PHD in the past when the guiding rate is too low. I use 70-80 for the guiding rate and it worked fine. However, the optimal guiding rate is different depending on your equipment setup.

Edd_88
原恆星

文章 Edd_88 » 週四 21 5月, 2015 11:22

cwydavid 寫:Have you checked the guiding rate on your ZEQ's hand control box? I used to have calibration error reported by PHD in the past when the guiding rate is too low. I use 70-80 for the guiding rate and it worked fine. However, the optimal guiding rate is different depending on your equipment setup.
Thanks for your reply. I've tried guide rate form 0.5x to 1.0x. The most strange thing is that the S and N works but the E and W don't.

LT
夸克星
文章: 2511
註冊時間: 週日 17 8月, 2003 23:20
來自: YL
聯繫:

文章 LT » 週四 21 5月, 2015 11:39

Suggest you firstly check if there is something wrong with your ST-4 guiding cable on

1. any line broken, or
2. pinning configuration correctly matching between AG port of your mount and CCD guider.

Usually, the problem comes from the cable.

Hope helpful to you.

Edd_88
原恆星

文章 Edd_88 » 週四 21 5月, 2015 11:56

LT 寫:Suggest you firstly check if there is something wrong with your ST-4 guiding cable on

1. any line broken, or
2. pinning configuration correctly matching between AG port of your mount and CCD guider.

Usually, the problem comes from the cable.

Hope helpful to you.
I am not using the ST-4 guide cable/port. I connect the PC to mount via the RS232 port on the hand controller and the PC to guide cam via usb.

The most strange thing is the mount response to all direction (NSEW) when I click the ASCOM driver control panel but only response to NS direction when I click the manual guiding dialog box pop-up in PHD.

bug
紅巨星
文章: 360
註冊時間: 週五 17 4月, 2015 16:14

文章 bug » 週四 21 5月, 2015 19:50

如果是RS-232...很多年前試過 "非Unicode 程式的語言"設定不當會出現奇怪的問題 :? 可能在"中文(PRC)" / "中文(台灣)" / "English" 間只會有一種合適的能解決問題 :?:

LT
夸克星
文章: 2511
註冊時間: 週日 17 8月, 2003 23:20
來自: YL
聯繫:

文章 LT » 週四 21 5月, 2015 20:23

Edd_88 寫: I am not using the ST-4 guide cable/port. I connect the PC to mount via the RS232 port on the hand controller and the PC to guide cam via usb.

The most strange thing is the mount response to all direction (NSEW) when I click the ASCOM driver control panel but only response to NS direction when I click the manual guiding dialog box pop-up in PHD.
I havn't used that way for autoguiding before and so don't have any idea on it. Sorry.

頭像
鄧登凳
夸克星
文章: 9493
註冊時間: 週一 03 8月, 2009 17:15
來自: 3rd planet of solar system

文章 鄧登凳 » 週四 21 5月, 2015 21:05

Edd_88 寫:
I am not using the ST-4 guide cable/port. I connect the PC to mount via the RS232 port on the hand controller and the PC to guide cam via usb.

Two questions:
1. Have you chosen the correct ASCOM mount in your PHD?
2. Which area of the sky were you pointing to in doing the PHD calibration?

Edd_88
原恆星

文章 Edd_88 » 週五 22 5月, 2015 08:08

鄧登凳 寫:
Edd_88 寫:

Two questions:
1. Have you chosen the correct ASCOM mount in your PHD?
2. Which area of the sky were you pointing to in doing the PHD calibration?
1. I am using the driver downloaded from iOptron site for ZEQ25 named "iOptron Commander and ASCOM Driver Installer 2013 V3.111"

2. I am pointing at approx NE direction at Dec +50. The darkest sky I can see from my window.

Any other free guiding software I can try?

頭像
鄧登凳
夸克星

文章 鄧登凳 » 週五 22 5月, 2015 10:39

Edd_88 寫:
1. I am using the driver downloaded from iOptron site for ZEQ25 named "iOptron Commander and ASCOM Driver Installer 2013 V3.111"

2. I am pointing at approx NE direction at Dec +50. The darkest sky I can see from my window.

1. I suppose you mean that you have downloaded and installed the "iOptron Commander and ASCOM Driver Installer 2013 V3.111". But that does not imply you have selected the right ASCOM mount in your PHD. Please check you mount selection in PHD. The phenomenon that RA axis moves while using iOptron Commander but does not when using PHD manual guiding is most likely the result of wrong mount driver selection in PHD.

2. Try to point at a place where DEC is between +30 and -30. Dark sky is not necessary, most guide cameras can detect stars in fairly light polluted sky.

Changing the guiding software would not solve the problems in (1) and (2). :wink:

Edd_88
原恆星

文章 Edd_88 » 週六 23 5月, 2015 10:12

鄧登凳 寫:
Edd_88 寫:

1. I suppose you mean that you have downloaded and installed the "iOptron Commander and ASCOM Driver Installer 2013 V3.111". But that does not imply you have selected the right ASCOM mount in your PHD. Please check you mount selection in PHD. The phenomenon that RA axis moves while using iOptron Commander but does not when using PHD manual guiding is most likely the result of wrong mount driver selection in PHD.

2. Try to point at a place where DEC is between +30 and -30. Dark sky is not necessary, most guide cameras can detect stars in fairly light polluted sky.

Changing the guiding software would not solve the problems in (1) and (2). :wink:
Thanks Tang sir.

I again carefully select the iOptron Commander and ASCOM Driver V3.11 in PHD, I even download, install and select an earlier version (2.4, iOptron just put back this version on their page). Same thing happen. The Dec motor reponse to the manual guide signal sent by PHD but RA motor not. I call up the iOptron control panel, RA and Dec motor all reponse to the signal sent by the control panel.

I begin to think

1. Is the signal sent by PHD and iOptron control are in the same form? Read from some document, PHD is sending Pulse Signal.

2. Could it be the firmware issue? I completed update the firmware for the RA followed by Dec and press back on the HC as instructed, an error message of "can not communicate with RA" displayed. It's gone after I switch off and on again the system. Tried update again, same thing happen.

3. Could it be a faulty HC or RA board? I did test the cable for HC/mount connection using multi meter and the wires are good.

4. Is ZEQ25 support guiding using the RS232 port on the HC (not prepare to buy a new guide cam with ST4 to try at this moment before I make sure the mount headwares are working in order.

First thing I want to try, the easy part, is to also roll back the firmware to earlier version. Mine already updated to 150302 for HC, RA and Dec. Is it possible roll back and where can I download those firmware?

Second, I may consider to have my dealer to replace the HC or even the RA board if in your opinion that it is a hardware fault.

頭像
鄧登凳
夸克星

文章 鄧登凳 » 週六 23 5月, 2015 11:15

Edd_88 寫: Thanks Tang sir.

I again carefully select the iOptron Commander and ASCOM Driver V3.11 in PHD, I even download, install and select an earlier version (2.4, iOptron just put back this version on their page). Same thing happen. The Dec motor reponse to the manual guide signal sent by PHD but RA motor not. I call up the iOptron control panel, RA and Dec motor all reponse to the signal sent by the control panel.

I begin to think

1. Is the signal sent by PHD and iOptron control are in the same form? Read from some document, PHD is sending Pulse Signal.

2. Could it be the firmware issue? I completed update the firmware for the RA followed by Dec and press back on the HC as instructed, an error message of "can not communicate with RA" displayed. It's gone after I switch off and on again the system. Tried update again, same thing happen.

3. Could it be a faulty HC or RA board? I did test the cable for HC/mount connection using multi meter and the wires are good.

4. Is ZEQ25 support guiding using the RS232 port on the HC (not prepare to buy a new guide cam with ST4 to try at this moment before I make sure the mount headwares are working in order.

First thing I want to try, the easy part, is to also roll back the firmware to earlier version. Mine already updated to 150302 for HC, RA and Dec. Is it possible roll back and where can I download those firmware?

Second, I may consider to have my dealer to replace the HC or even the RA board if in your opinion that it is a hardware fault.
1. No, they are probably not of the same form. ASCOM guiding is called "pulse guide" but is not done by sending pulse signal. It is acheived by sending pulse command such as 'go East for 0.0X sec". The hand control unit has to "interpret" the pulse command and drive the motor.

2. This is now the most likely problem. "press back on the HC" should NOT be the last step of your update process. According to the instruction, after updating DEC driver, the last step should be "(10) Power cycling the hand controller and exit the Upgrade Utility program." That is, you should turn off you mount and turn it on again.

3. Unlikely.

4. Buy a USB-ST4 connector (http://www.hkastroforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=29224) should be adequate. However, ZEq25 can definitely be guided via RS232. I have seen people using it.

I cannot find older versions of firmware online.

I do not think there is a hardware fault. It is just the clumsy instruction for updating firmware. You should do the whole updating process again.

Edd_88
原恆星

文章 Edd_88 » 週六 23 5月, 2015 20:48

Thanks again Tamg sir. I did not scroll down enough to see the full update instruction. I will do it all again and see what's going on. Hope the weather will turn in a few days. Will post result

回覆文章

回到「天文攝影 Astrophotography」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:Google [Bot] 和 36 位訪客