夸克星
文章: 3847
註冊時間: 週四 09 10月, 2003 21:06

Re: Single Arm Dobsonian Travelscope Project - CSAT

文章 Chanlunlun » 週三 04 9月, 2013 10:01

Steve 寫:多年前已經想造, 今年付諸實行~ :)

Visit the following link for details:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/StriderTelescopes
I had used a 12 inch single arm ultra-light telescope in Komeko for star gazing. While it is very light in weight the following issues may happen to you during usage :-

1. The zenith eyepiece height is too low, you probably need a rigid tripod to raise the eyepiece height. A heavy duty Gitso is recommended.

2. Serious light leakage problem. A light shroud surrounding the eyepiece, and if used in Hong Kong, surrounding the primary, is recommended.

3. The single arm pole is not strong enough to hold the optical alignment, especially for a f/4 mirror very accurate alignment must be realized otherwise you will suffer from obvious coma in the field of view. Adding two tension wires may help but it complicates and lengthens tyhe time of setting up in the field. Moreover when heavy eyepiece ( this is a very probable case ) is added the two added wires seem to be not very helpful.

4. The primary mirror cell is not a standard spring loaded push-pull design making aligment not at all easy.

5. The telescope is an "all-open" design which means that both the primary and secondary mirror are well exposed to ambient air - they readily attract dew in humid weather such as those summer nights in Hong Kong.

6. The "all-open" design which means that both the primary and secondary mirrors are well exposed to dirts. You need to clean the optics more often and cleaning will scratch mirrors.

7. Lack of symmetirc spider making the diffraction pattern of bright stars non-attractive. Of course this is personal but I do belief that no one will deny the beauty of a neatly right angle cross style Hubble telescope like diffraction spike around a bright star.

One thing must be added - after dismantling this telescope becomes a very small package and is being extremely suitable for travelling. If all, or major part, of the above issues could be solved this Ultra-light could be a perfect scope taken out for star gazing trip.

頭像
Steve
中子星
文章: 1257
註冊時間: 週二 15 4月, 2008 22:16
聯繫:

文章 Steve » 週三 04 9月, 2013 10:21

Chanlunlun 寫:

I had used a 12 inch single arm ultra-light telescope in Komeko for star gazing. While it is very light in weight the following issues may happen to you during usage :-

1. The zenith eyepiece height is too low, you probably need a rigid tripod to raise the eyepiece height. A heavy duty Gitso is recommended.

Yes, I prefer sitting on a collapsible chair when using.

2. Serious light leakage problem. A light shroud surrounding the eyepiece, and if used in Hong Kong, surrounding the primary, is recommended.

Yes, I have light shroud ready.

3. The single arm pole is not strong enough to hold the optical alignment, especially for a f/4 mirror very accurate alignment must be realized otherwise you will suffer from obvious coma in the field of view. Adding two tension wires may help but it complicates and lengthens tyhe time of setting up in the field. Moreover when heavy eyepiece ( this is a very probable case ) is added the two added wires seem to be not very helpful.

I have once again strengthen the structure, to minimize the coma. There is a compromise for ultra-portable telescope...

4. The primary mirror cell is not a standard spring loaded push-pull design making aligment not at all easy.

No, it is a standard spring loaded push-pull design, I have replaced the springs.

5. The telescope is an "all-open" design which means that both the primary and secondary mirror are well exposed to ambient air - they readily attract dew in humid weather such as those summer nights in Hong Kong.

"All-open" is the only way to ultra-portable, it is acceptable.

6. The "all-open" design which means that both the primary and secondary mirrors are well exposed to dirts. You need to clean the optics more often and cleaning will scratch mirrors.

7. Lack of symmetirc spider making the diffraction pattern of bright stars non-attractive. Of course this is personal but I do belief that no one will deny the beauty of a neatly right angle cross style Hubble telescope like diffraction spike around a bright star.

This is acceptable for me.

One thing I must be added - after dismantling this telescope becomes a very small package and is being extremely suitable for travelling. If all, or major part, of the above issues could be solved the Ultra-light could be a perfect scope taken out for star gazing trip.
Please find my reply above in blue.

Chanlunlun
夸克星
文章: 3847
註冊時間: 週四 09 10月, 2003 21:06

文章 Chanlunlun » 週三 04 9月, 2013 17:37

Steve 寫:
Chanlunlun 寫:

Yes, I prefer sitting on a collapsible chair when using.

Yes, I have light shroud ready.

I have once again strengthen the structure, to minimize the coma. There is a compromise for ultra-portable telescope...

No, it is a standard spring loaded push-pull design, I have replaced the springs.

This is acceptable for me.

One thing I must be added - after dismantling this telescope becomes a very small package and is being extremely suitable for travelling. If all, or major part, of the above issues could be solved the Ultra-light could be a perfect scope taken out for star gazing trip.
Please find my reply above in blue.
I'm glad to hear that you have solved the majority of issues. Hopefully you could bring more often this beautiful telescope to PTC or some other site to enjoy and to share.

頭像
Steve
中子星
聯繫:

文章 Steve » 週五 18 10月, 2013 14:27

希望有機會帶著這箱東西上久別了的陰拿山.. :)

http://www.facebook.com/StriderTelescopes
附加檔案
CSAT3.jpg
CSAT3.jpg (36.17 KiB) 已瀏覽 14576 次
CSAT2.jpg
CSAT2.jpg (48.07 KiB) 已瀏覽 14576 次
CSAT1.jpg
CSAT1.jpg (32.51 KiB) 已瀏覽 14576 次

頭像
Steve
中子星
聯繫:

文章 Steve » 週六 28 12月, 2013 09:51

akltsang
紅巨星
文章: 584
註冊時間: 週六 16 8月, 2003 13:37

文章 akltsang » 週六 28 12月, 2013 12:31

Great. What is the diameter of the main mirror?

頭像
Steve
中子星
聯繫:

文章 Steve » 週六 28 12月, 2013 12:56

akltsang 寫:Great. What is the diameter of the main mirror?
12 inch 306mm :)

anyone
夸克星
文章: 14338
註冊時間: 週六 07 2月, 2009 12:13
來自: hong kong

文章 anyone » 週六 28 12月, 2013 15:25

[想入非非]

syyuen168
夸克星
文章: 3856
註冊時間: 週五 06 7月, 2007 23:06

文章 syyuen168 » 週六 28 12月, 2013 15:33

又一個DIY高手 :D :D :D

頭像
Eddy So
夸克星
文章: 16073
註冊時間: 週四 04 12月, 2008 22:35
來自: 中男海

文章 Eddy So » 週日 29 12月, 2013 00:31

syyuen168 寫:又一個DIY高手 :D :D :D
X2

頭像
Steve
中子星
聯繫:

文章 Steve » 週五 13 6月, 2014 12:47

上幾張外遊靚相... :wink:
附加檔案
Astroforum7.jpg
Astroforum7.jpg (84.14 KiB) 已瀏覽 12062 次
8.jpg
8.jpg (39.76 KiB) 已瀏覽 12062 次
Astroforum-IMG2671-PS.jpg
Astroforum-IMG2671-PS.jpg (57.65 KiB) 已瀏覽 12062 次
Astroforum4.jpg
小鏡子大雪山
Astroforum4.jpg (54.58 KiB) 已瀏覽 12062 次
Astoroforum5.jpg
Reflective mirror
Astoroforum5.jpg (79.79 KiB) 已瀏覽 12062 次
Astroforum1.jpg
小鏡子大雪山
Astroforum1.jpg (64.06 KiB) 已瀏覽 12062 次

syyuen168
夸克星
文章: 3856
註冊時間: 週五 06 7月, 2007 23:06

文章 syyuen168 » 週五 13 6月, 2014 12:53

在雪地上的ultra light scope! 主鏡晚上有無結冰?

頭像
Steve
中子星
聯繫:

文章 Steve » 週五 13 6月, 2014 13:39

syyuen168 寫:在雪地上的ultra light scope! 主鏡晚上有無結冰?
此地晚上刮起颶風...所以試唔到 :(

海拔三千公尺, 少光害, 本應可看到很美的星空 :roll:
最後由 Steve 於 週六 14 6月, 2014 10:40 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。

頭像
Eddy So
夸克星
文章: 16073
註冊時間: 週四 04 12月, 2008 22:35
來自: 中男海

文章 Eddy So » 週五 13 6月, 2014 22:29

[Good Job] Dobsonian 雪地行 [Good Job]

回覆文章